APPLY: 2024 African Development Bank (AfDb) Internship Program For Young Africans
The African Development Bank (AfDb) Internship Program offers students a chance to gain practical and professional experience within the African Development Bank, fostering their growth and skill development. Moreover, this initiative serves as a valuable source for potential candidates for the Bank’s future recruitment needs. However, it’s important to note that participating in the internship does not guarantee immediate employment with the Bank.
Founded in 1964, the African Development Bank stands as the primary pan-African development institution, dedicated to advancing economic prosperity and societal advancement throughout the continent. With 81 member states, including 54 within Africa (Regional Member Countries), the Bank plays a crucial role in supporting growth and progress on the continent.
- Host: African Development Bank (AfDB)
- Category: Internships| Training
- Eligible Countries: All African Countries
- Reward: Full Sponsorship | Monthly Stipends
- Deadline: October 26, 2023
The Bank’s development agenda is centered on providing financial and technical support for transformative projects aimed at significantly reducing poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. To enhance the effectiveness of the Ten-Year Strategy (2023 – 2032) and maximize developmental impact, five key areas have been pinpointed for intensified efforts: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration, and enhancing the quality of life for the people of Africa.
The Internship program is an integral component of a comprehensive Talent Management Framework designed to enable the Bank in achieving the goals set out in the Ten-Year Strategy and the High 5s, thereby amplifying its efforts to uplift Africa.
Participants in the Program are selected on a competitive basis, based on business needs of the Bank.
To be eligible for internship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must have attained the age of majority in their country of nationality or origin and be not more than Thirty (30) years old at the time of commencement of the internship program.
- Be currently enrolled in a master’s level degree program in a recognized public or private educational institution of higher learning.
- The candidate can apply for an internship within one (1) year of having obtained such a degree.
- Be nationals of the member Countries of the African Development Bank.
- Provide a letter from their school confirming their enrollment or a copy of the above-mentioned Degree. Applicants must be fluent in at least one of the Banks’s two working languages (English or French).
- Be able to use the Bank’s standard software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
Duration and Reward
- Internships shall be granted to each candidate for a period not less than three (3) months and not more than six (6) months. The internship is authorized only once for any candidate.
- Selected interns will perform their internship either remotely or on-site depending on the needs of their respective hiring units. Remote interns are expected to have access to a personal computer, reliable internet connection and a conducive living environment that facilitates smooth and uninterrupted remote working.
- On-site interns shall be responsible for their air travel (in case of) to and from the Bank’s location as well as their upkeep.
- The Bank will use reasonable efforts to assist the concerned interns in obtaining their entry and residence visas.
- Eligible Interns will benefit from a medical insurance coverage paid by the Bank during the period of their internship.
- Eligible interns will be provided with a monthly stipend.
Strategic Focus areas:
The specific disciplines and specialist professional areas are aligned to the Bank’s Ten-Year Strategy (TYS) and the gender strategy. In addition to the fields that are in the job families of the Bank, focus will be on the following areas:
- Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth
- Agriculture, Human & Social Development
- Private Sector, Infrastructure and Industrialization
- Economics, Statistics
- Governance and Knowledge Management
- Human Resources and Corporate Services: IT, Language Services, General Services & Procurement, HR Management
- Audit, Anti-Corruption
- Communication & External Relations
- Public Relations
- Environmental and Social Assessment
Method of Application
Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online complete application and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV).
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Apply for this position
- Regular Staff: If you are currently working at the African Development Bank as a regular staff, click on the button below to apply for this position. Click here
- External Candidate: If you are not currently working at the African Development Bank, or if you are a Short Term Staff (STS), a Technical Assistant or a Consultant at the Bank, click on the button below to apply for the position. Click here
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.