Scholarships play a pivotal role in shaping the educational landscape, and one such notable program is the ARCS (Achievement Rewards for College Scientists) scholarship. Established with a commitment to advancing science and technology, the ARCS Foundation has evolved into a prominent force in supporting students pursuing degrees in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields.
ARCS (Achievement Rewards for College Scientists) Foundation advances science and technology in the United States by providing financial awards and scholarships to academically outstanding students who are US citizens studying to complete degrees in science, engineering, math, technology, and medical research.
The ARCS competitive scholarship rewards excellence in research. Selection is based primarily on the exceptional promise of the nominee to make a significant contribution to the advancement of science, and to the material and intellectual welfare of all people.
- Outstanding PhD students entering years 1-6
- U.S. citizens
- Students must be enrolled in one of the following programs: Bioengineering, Biological and Medical Informatics, Biomedical Sciences, Biophysics, Chemistry and Chemical Biology, Developmental and Stem Cell Biology, Epidemiology and Translational Science, Neuroscience, Oral and Craniofacial Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacogenomics, TETRAD
- GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Programs are encouraged to nominate previous ARCS Scholars for repeat awards.
- be performing high-quality research in an engineering or scientific area
- commit to participate in at least one meeting of the membership and/or the board of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the ARCS Foundation per year and make a presentation on her or his research, if requested
- acknowledge the ARCS Foundation in any publication related to his/her research
Required Nomination Documents/Information
1st year Students
- Undergraduate institution
- Prior graduate institution, if applicable
- GPA (most current)
- One recommendation letter from the student’s application OR one recommendation letter from a UCSF faculty member (5 MB limit, PDF file)
- CV or statement of academic achievements, including abstracts of published papers, all postsecondary honors and activities (from application) – 5 MB limit, PDF file
- Copy of the transcript submitted with the application (5 MB limit, PDF file)
- A 300-600 word research statement (from the student) outlining their work and its potential impact on their discipline
Students years 2-6
- Statement of Interest (5 MB limit, PDF file)
- Formatted CV (5 MB limit, PDF file in CV template format)
- Unofficial UCSF Transcript (5 MB limit, PDF file)
- Faculty Letter (5 MB limit, PDF file)
- PI/Advisor Name
- Twelve awards
- $17,917 stipend for 2023-24 over a nine month period (September-May)
- The award does not include tuition or fees.
Other than meeting the eligibility criteria, the ARCS Selection Committee seeks to identify students who excel not only in their field, but also science communication. High importance is placed on the approachability and enthusiasm of the applicant’s message. Therefore the committee will be evaluating each submission based on the candidate’s ability to accomplish this directive.
In summary, the ARCS fellowship serves as a lighthouse for future scientists, providing not only monetary assistance but also networking opportunities, mentoring, and a venue for influential research. The accomplishments of the foundation’s scholars attest to its dedication to quality STEM education.
FAQs About ARCS Scholarship:
1. Is the ARCS scholarship only for undergraduates?
No, the ARCS scholarship is available for both undergraduate and graduate students.
2. What fields of study are covered by the ARCS scholarship?
The ARCS Foundation supports students in the STEM disciplines, including science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
3. How competitive is the selection process for the ARCS scholarship?
The selection process is highly competitive, with a focus on academic excellence and scientific achievement.
4. Are there specific outreach programs for ARCS scholars in local communities?
Yes, ARCS scholars actively engage in outreach programs and community initiatives as part of the foundation’s commitment to community involvement.
5. Can ARCS scholars apply for additional funding for research projects?
Yes, ARCS scholars may have opportunities to apply for additional funding to support their research endeavors beyond the scholarship.