Wits University Scholarships and Awards
Wits University provides numerous scholarships for undergraduate students, primarily awarded based on academic excellence. The maximum limit for all university-administered funding for undergraduates is set at R 155,000.
Wits Undergraduate University Funding
In the event that a student secures an external bursary exceeding the specified R 155,000 limit, they are obligated to reimburse the excess amount received from the university. This policy is in place to facilitate the university’s support for other Wits students.
Furthermore, if a student decides to deregister for any reason, all university awards will be nullified and forfeited.
Students are eligible for University Entrance Scholarships based on their National Senior Certificate (NSC) admission point score (APS) according to the following criteria:
- Achieving an APS of 51 or above (excluding Life Orientation) qualifies for a scholarship of R42,000.
- An APS between 48 and 50 (excluding Life Orientation) entitles the student to a scholarship of R30,000.
- An APS between 45 and 47 (excluding Life Orientation) results in a scholarship of R15,000.
- An APS between 43 and 44 (excluding Life Orientation) leads to a scholarship of R10,000.
Certain conditions apply, including:
- The scholarship is applicable to a maximum of six (designated and non-designated) subjects, excluding Life Orientation.
- Remarks must be submitted to the Student Enrolment Centre by September 30th.
- A gap year is recognized for one year only, and students must submit an affidavit or proof of activities during the gap year to the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.
For applicants undertaking the Cambridge A & AS-Level or International Baccalaureate Qualification, the scholarship amount is determined by the number of A and B symbols achieved, ranging from R5,000 up to a maximum of R30,000.
Note: Students cannot simultaneously receive the Vice-Chancellor Scholarship, the VC Equality Scholarship, or the Entrance Scholarship.
Bursary grants are funded through resources from the university and the generosity of alumni, businesses, non-profit organizations, and former Wits sports achievers. Application Process For sports bursaries for the academic year 2021, the application period opens on April 1, 2021, and closes on August 31, 2021.
Kindly fill out the online form available here. Please be aware that ONLY ONLINE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.