UJ Senior Manager Job Vacancy 2023
- Position(s): Senior Manager: Business Partnering (P6) (Finance Division: Budget & Project Management (Financial Support Services))
- Location: University of Johannesburg, South Africa
- Advert Reference:uj_001305
- Advert Status:Online
- Apply By:1 December 2023
- Industry:Education & Training
- Job category:Education and Training
- Campus:Auckland Park Kingsway Campus
- EE position:EE
Job Descriptions for UJ Senior Manager Job
UJ is actively seeking to interview a dynamic and strategically minded individual with the capability to lead and advance business partnering within the Business Support unit.
The main objectives of the Senior Manager: Business Partnering role are as follows: • To deliver comprehensive, customer-centric financial management advice and support to faculties, divisions, and departments. • To advocate for sound financial management, accountability, efficiency, and value for money. • To compile internal financial reports for respective client portfolios, adhering to management and financial accounting standards and guidelines to facilitate decision-making.
Responsibilities for UJ Job Vacancy
The individual in this role is expected to:
- Lead the completion and integration of the financial aspects of faculties’ and divisions’ Strategic Plans.
- Ensure that university strategy and practices align with and positively reflect the University’s strategic aspirations, values, and vision.
- Provide financial advice to Deans, Directors, managers, and colleagues.
- Contribute to strategic discussions and plan development within faculties and, at times, the wider university.
- Advise faculties, divisions, and departments, as well as senior managers, on financial administration issues and ensure effective implementation where applicable.
- Act as the faculty’s finance representative on relevant tasks and change groups as required.
- Contribute as a key member of the management team, senior admin team, and a core member of the wider university senior management team.
- Champion and drive expertise, understanding the faculties’ broader strategic needs in collaboration with relevant colleagues.
- Ensure the effective functioning of business partnering services across Faculties/Support/Research.
- Ensure compliance with Financial Policies, Procedures, and Processes, as well as Funder requirements, as applicable.
- Build and maintain excellent collaborative relationships with all stakeholders, both within the university and externally.
- Network with fellow professionals in the wider community to stay current with professional knowledge and awareness of the UJ Higher Education agenda.
- Manage the Annual Budget process at the client portfolio level, including producing the annual budget timetable and advising budget holders.
- Produce forecasts in line with budget holders within the client portfolio level.
- Present the 5-year plan forecast in conjunction with budget holders at the client portfolio level.
- Present monthly variance analysis, including holding monthly discussions with budget holders.
- Manage the maintenance and development of systems and structures underpinning effective day-to-day financial administration across faculties, with accountability for delivering relevant services.
- Manage the attainment of desired results in a cost-effective and timely manner to agreed quality standards.
- Ensure university policies and procedures are interpreted and implemented across faculties and departments.
- Provide high-quality financial advice to budget holders, supporting their preparation of robust business cases and project budgets, costing, and benchmarking.
- Lead and drive change in finance administrative support structures.
- Evaluate existing procedures in collaboration with other Finance Business Partners to drive consistency, simplification, and efficiency.
- Develop and lead process change and improvements, setting best practices standards and quality assurance within the finance team.
- Promote process improvement between faculties’ finance and other teams, including those across relevant corporate services and finance teams in other faculties.
- Evaluate service provision, recommend, and implement innovative solutions to improve service quality, efficiency, and continuity and introduce long-term, sustainable improvements.
- Identify trends that could impact the faculties or university’s financial position, recommend approaches to address these, and implement solutions.
- Produce monthly variance analysis, including holding monthly discussions with budget holders.
- Assist in implementing process changes to ensure efficient operation of the processes by which the faculties and departments’ support services are delivered.
- Produce monthly management accounts in line with reporting deadlines.
- Timely consolidate, coordinate, produce, complete, and accurately budget and forecasts for inclusion in faculties, divisions, and the university’s plans.
- Produce and interpret management information for use in faculties and division-level initiatives and reviews, such as key performance indicators, trends, and anticipated new business.
- Produce Annual Accounts for faculties and divisions reconciled for incorporation into the university’s financial accounts timely.
- Ensure accurate information and databases are held on relevant systems to facilitate the extraction and use of data for all management purposes.
- Manage people development in line with the Institution-wide skills development strategy within the division/unit.
- Manage talent within the division/unit and ensure talent management strategies (attraction, retention, development) are implemented.
- Implement performance management within the division/unit in line with HCM Policies and Guidelines.
- Manage grievances, discipline, and terminations within the division/unit in line with HCM policies and guidelines.
- Lead and direct staff within the division/unit to meet the objectives set for them.
- Build and foster a culture of good governance, customer service, honesty, integrity, and world-class delivery in the division/unit.
- Implement innovative recognition and reward systems.
Minimum Requirements for UJ Job Vacancy
- BCom in Finance, Financial Management, or Accounting
- 5 years of experience in Finance
- Comprehensive understanding and ability across key financial management, analysis, and reporting components
- Five years of experience in various financial environments with at least three years of managerial experience
- Knowledge of accounting/finance principles and procedures
- Experience in a managerial position
- Proficiency in MS packages (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- CIMA Professional Qualification (CGMA) or CA (SA) or Masters with Management Development Program
- Experience with Oracle, ITS, IDU
- Higher Education experience
Competencies and Behavioral Attributes for UJ Vacancy:
- Understanding of business principles and processes
- Solid comprehension of management accounting concepts
- Strong customer-centric skills
- Proficiency in Electronic Financial Processing Systems (Oracle, ITS, GL, Wand, I-Procurement)
- Application of accounting principles in practice
- Familiarity with forecasting methods and data analysis
- Excellent written and oral reporting and numeracy skills with attention to detail
- Proficient in MS Excel, including advanced formulas, pivot tables, and charts
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with a diverse group of university employees, students, external funders, other universities, and the public
- Effective negotiation skills
- Keeping abreast of changes in state legislation and financial management regulations
- Results-oriented, with strong organizational skills, self-motivation, and proactivity
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative setting
- Meticulous with a keen eye for detail, adept at identifying and mitigating risks
- Ability to influence others and gain commitment
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Maintaining a high level of integrity and ethical standards
- Exceptional problem-solving skills.
Enquiries regarding the job content:
- Babalwa Mtini on
- Tel: (011) 559-9000
Enquiries regarding remuneration & benefits:
- Lithale Mnqandi on
- Tel: (011) 559-3116
- IMPORTANT: Ensure that your application, which includes a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae and the names, along with full contact details (including telephone numbers and email addresses), of at least three traceable and credible referees, is uploaded before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
- PLEASE ALSO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS: • A copy of your highest academic qualification • Proof of registration with any professional bodies you may belong to. If applying for an academic position, • A list of accredited research output and/or a portfolio showcasing your creative output.
How to Apply
Need Help? UJ e-recruitment Portal
Need Assistance? UJ E-Recruitment Portal For general inquiries about the advertised post, please send an email with the subject line containing the reference number of the post to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require technical support or assistance on the UJ e-recruitment website, please reach out to our service provider, PNET, at the following contact details: 0861 227337/010 140 3099 or email email@example.com
Candidates may undergo appropriate psychometric testing and other selection instruments. In alignment with merit based on qualifications, experience, and proven achievements, the University of Johannesburg is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities for individuals with disabilities and those from historically disadvantaged groups.
Due to operational needs, the University reserves the right not to appoint individuals to positions advertised. If you haven’t received a response from the University within 8 weeks of the closing date, kindly assume that your application has been unsuccessful.